Public Art

Works of Art

No matter where you look, you’re sure to find a piece of public art on display that will catch your eye and make your day. From street murals to statues, stop by and enjoy these pieces.

 

 

Pictured: Coming of Age by Gee Horton

Sing the Queen City

The Banks

This sculpture greets people as they enter Cincinnati via the Roebling Bridge. The words that make up this sculpture were borrowed from the poem "Seven Hills and a Queen to Name Them", which lies at the center of CincyInk, an interactive, citywide celebration of love, manifested through a poem, tattoos and urban art installations.

Address: 25 E. Freedom Way, Cincinnati OH 45202

Mr. Dynamite

Over-the-Rhine

James Brown is regarded as one of the most iconic and influential musicians of the 20th century. Brown spent the formative years of his career on the Cincinnati-based King Records label producing some of his earliest hits and providing inspiration and guidance to a generation of musicians. An innovative and widely respected composer and stage performer, he played a major role in the development of funk, soul, and hip hop, and was a strong, outspoken advocate for civil rights and black self-empowerment. This mural was created in partnership with Urban Sites. Designer: Jenny Ustick Project Manager: Jenny Ustick Teaching Assistants: Derek Toebbe, Christopher Beiting

Address: 1437 Main St., Cincinnati OH 45202

Germania

Over-the-Rhine

A few older buildings survive in downtown Cincinnati that boast free-standing sculpture as part of their original architectural design. This female figure adorns the former headquarters of the German Mutual Fire Insurance Company, founded by Heinrich A. Ratterman. The sculpture originally symbolized the spirit of Germany standing watch over the country's culture. Following the anti-German sentiment of World War I, the figure's name was changed to Columbia, the spirit of America, and "E Pluribus Unum" was added to her robe. The north face of the building features another sculpture by Fettweis. Apollo, Greek god of the sun, music and poetry, is shown driving his chariot to announce the dawn. Created by Leopold Fettweis in 1877

Address: 1200 Walnut St., Cincinnati OH 45202

Frank Robinson

The Banks

Outfielder 1956-65. Playing with unparalleled intensity, Frank Robinson quickly earned a reputation for challenging pitchers, crowding the plate and charging hard around the bases. He spent the first half of his career in Cincinnati, where his powerful swing produced 324 of his 586 career home runs and 1,009 of his 1,812 career RBIs. Robinson, arguably the best player of the Crosley era, picked up the NL MVP Award in 1961 after leading the Reds to their first pennant in 21 years. The 12-time All-Star was inducted into the Reds Hall of Fame in 1978 and the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1982. His #20 was retired by the Reds in 1998 Sculptor: Tom Tsuchiya Material: Bronze Streetcar Stop #1: Cincinnati Cyclones station, The Banks

Address: 100 Joe Nuxhall Way, Cincinnati OH 45202

Amelia Valerio Weinberg Memorial Fountain

Central Business District

A stack of enormous books with a central cascade of water marks the library's Vine Street entrance and is a reminder that knowledge flows from the printed word. Although the book covers appear leatherbound, Frasca fabricated them from fired clay placed over a concrete core. Amelia Valerio Weinberg left a bequest in 1982 to create a library fountain. Michael Frasca, 1988 Main Library 800 Vine Street Streetcar Stop #4: 8th & Main

Address: 800 Vine St., Cincinnati OH 45202

Abraham Lincoln

Central Business District

By George Grey Bernard, 1917 Nationally renowned artist George Grey Barnard took nearly five years to complete the 11-foot sculpture. When it was unveiled, the public sharply criticized his interpretation of Lincoln, with its oversized hands and feet and gaunt, beardless face. Today the work is considered to be one of the most eloquent representations of the humanity of the 16th U.S. President. The sculpture and the Federal style home at the end of Lytle Park, now The Taft Museum, were gifts to the people of Cincinnati by Anna Sinton Taft and Charles Phelps Taft. Streetcar Stop #2: 4th and Main

Address: 501 E. Fourth St., Cincinnati OH 45202

Additional

Central Business District

Commissioned by 5/3 Bank to mask a garage facade, Julian Stanczak first major three-dimensional work consists of 522 aluminum bars painted in meticulously planned color combinations. Streetcar Stop #3: Richter & Phillips station, 6th & Main

Address: 86 E. 6th St., Cincinnati OH 45202

Aggravation de l’Espace

Central Business District

By Jean Boutellis, 1980 Painted bright red, this abstract sculpture is poised on three appendages, and is geometric and minimal in its style. A gift to the city by the artist, it once stood at the steps to City Hall. Ironically, it became, like its name implies, an aggravation for pedestrians and was moved to a more appropriate location on Central Parkway. The sculpture now stands as a beacon to direct traffic around the bend and along the axis of Central Parkway. Streetcar Stop #5: JACK Casino station, Court & Main

Address: 299 Central Pkwy., Cincinnati OH 45202

Allegro – Urban Walls

Central Business District

Urban Walls, by Barron Krody, was one of the largest and most extensive public art projects undertaken in Cincinnati, was conceived and organized by Carl Solway and Jack Boulton. Ten Cincinnati artists and designers were invited to created monumental paintings to mask the scars left by urban renewal in the late 1960's. The visual impact of these walls added a sense of place and spirit to the declining center of the city. The project was managed by Solway's art gallery and funded through private and government sources. The only surviving wall painting is Allegro by Krody, from 1971. Kroduy's award-winning graphic design was used on the poster to announce the "Urban Walls: Cincinnati" project. Streetcar Stop: #17 Aronoff Center

Address: 37 W. Seventh St., Cincinnati OH 45202

American Classical Music Walk of Fame

Over-the-Rhine

The Walk of Fame is a groundbreaking project that combines classical music, arts education, urban redevelopment, a public park, cutting-edge technology, and a dancing fountain. Located right outside the steps of Cincinnati's famed Music Hall, the Walk of Fame is the only project of its kind in the world and promises to become a tourist destination for the region. Streetcar Stop #14: Washington Park

Address: 1230 Elm St., Cincinnati OH 45202

Armstrong

Central Business District

Astronaut Neil Armstrong is the subject of this mural located on Fifth Third Bank Headquarters, in the heart of Cincinnati’s Central Business District. The work of art was created by world-famous Brazilian street artist Eduardo Kobra, who completed this after wrapping up a massive mural in Rio for the 2016 Olympics. Kobra has also completed projects all over the world depicting subjects like Abraham Lincoln, Tupac Shakur, Albert Einstein and Malala Yousafzai. This mural pays tribute to Armstrong, a Wapakoneta, Ohio native and at the time of its creation, was the largest project in ArtWorks’ 21-year history. Project Manager: Ryan Little Teaching Assistant: Francis Newberry

Address: 511 Walnut St., Cincinnati OH 45202

Black Brigade Monument

The Banks

This monument was the first piece of public art commissioned for Smale Riverfront Park. It consists of bronze statues and plaques, interpretive signs, and carved stones which includes the names of all 718 members of the brigade. The Black Brigade was formed in 1862 to construct barricades to defend Cincinnati from Confederate attack. Initially, members of the Black Brigade were forced into service. Then, after a public outcry, 718 African-American men volunteered for the service and formed The Black Brigade, which, alongside many other local soldiers, successfully built the critical fortifications in Northern Kentucky. Created by: John Hebenstreit and Carolyn Manto, Sculptors; Tyrone Williams, Writer; and Erik Brown, Graphic Designer Streetcar Stop #1: Cincinnati Cyclones station, The Banks

Address: 0 W. Mehring Way, Cincinnati OH 45202

Brewing Heritage: Grain to Glass

Findlay Market

“Grain to Glass” celebrates Cincinnati’s brewing heritage and honors the people, past and present, who have worked to support it. The story of a seemingly simple glass of beer unfolds from left to right highlighting each step of the process, starting with the harvesting of grain through the brewing, bottling, and transportation process and finishing out of the tap of a local watering hole. This mural honors the wide range of professions within the brewing industry and the community they create. This mural was created in partnership with The Brewery District Community Urban Redevelopment Corporation. Designer: Jim Effler Project Manager: Jim Effler

Address: 25 Back St., Cincinnati OH 45202

Canal at Vine Street Circa 1900

Central Business District

Located on the side of the old Barlow Motors Building, the mural represents a picture that was taken in the nearby location in the 1900's. The mural is intended to depict the scene of the Miami & Erie Canal that ran through Cincinnati along Central Parkway. ArtWorks Michael Blankenship, 2007 Presented by UBS. Streetcar Stop #15: Central Parkway

Address: 101 W. Central Pkwy., Cincinnati OH 45202

Canticle

Russian-born artist Alexander Liberman, recipient of many international commissions for public art, describes Canticle as a hymn of praise soaring in space to elevate the spirit of the spectator. The sculpture was purchased for the plaza outside the Adams Landing condominium complex and dedicated by Allen G. Zaring to the people of Cincinnati. Alexander Liberman, 1992

Address: 900 Adams Crssng., Cincinnati OH 45202

Castle of Air

The Castle of Air is a modern interpretation of a classic hunting lodge (18th century) that is seen all over Europe. The particular one chosen by the pavilion designer, Mr. Peter Haimerl, is the Pagodenburg Castle located in the Nymphenburg Park in Munich, Germany. a Sister City of Cincinnati. The structure uses highly reflective material that reflects images of nature on the inside of the building. This material reflects the sky and its surroundings and as it does so the building seems to disappear – hence the name “Castle of Air”. Created by Peter Haimerl in 2004.

Address: 1120 U.S. 52, Cincinnati OH 45202

Charles P. Taft Memorial II

Central Business District

Timothy Werrell designed this abstract sculpture to represent the spirit of Mr. Taft's loyalty to both church and state. A man of religious conviction, Charles Taft (1897-1983) served Christ Church vestry for 50 years, as well as holding national ecumenical office. A long-time local political leader who received the nickname "Mr. Cincinnati," Taft held offices as mayor and councilman. The sculpture was a private commission and presented to the church as a gift. Tim Werrell, 1988 Christ Church Cathedral 318 E. Fourth St. Streetcar Stop #2: 4th and Main

Address: 318 E. Fourth St., Cincinnati OH 45202